Sunday, March 2, 2008

No Child left Inside

On November 22, 1963 a lone photographer recorded history on an 8 mm camera. Actually I read that 32 people filmed the assasination of President Kennedy but none with the detail of Zapruder. What would have been different today? EVERYONE in the crowd would have filmed.
I loved the section on Grassroots Video in the Horizon Report . Film is an incredible expression of creativity. And everyone can paricipate. It's cheap. It's easy. It's fun.
Websites like You Tube make it easy to share. Although You Tube doesn't come thru the computers at my school. The censors stop it. I hope that changes soon.
With students being able to produce video from simple devices such as phones and cameras it becomes an easy tool to use in research and interviews.
This morning I read something interesting in the Detroit Free Press. An article said that participation in outdoor activities has declined nearly 25%. It blamed "videophilia" - doing stuff indoors in front of a screen, watching television, sitting at computers, playing videos. Then on the radio on the way to church I heard that 30% of our children are overweight.
I don't live in the past. I do like to visit there sometimes. It is a warm and fuzzy place filled with long gone people. We hear that life was simpler than. I don't believe that. I wouldn't like to give up my safe car, good medical science, or the computer.
But I sort of agree with this article. I have mentored a 13 year old girl for several years. I took her to a beach on Lake Huron. She had never made a sand castle, walked along a lake, climbed a lighthouse, or had a bonfire. She lives at 7 Mile and Gratiot and had never been to Belle Isle or downtown Detroit. But she is very good at finding her way around the internet.
I think that life is about balance. We need to encourage our children to go outside and discover nature. Plant a garden, watch the birds, learn about bugs. They need to know that Mother Nature is important and enjoyable. Taking a long hike in the woods is calming.
We can't always just watch the film.

5 comments:

doublecruise said...

Marge,

As always a good read and insight into the weeks' readings. Your mentorship includes your Blog, since I am often able to relate and reflect on the topics you write on. I also share your views on the use of Grassroots Video for instruction purposes. A student may not be able to read or write at grade level, but I bet they have a lot to "say" if allowed to present a project using their cell phone or other hand-held communication devices.

I wish all of the technology driven industries had teacher friendly applications like YouTube. State mandated professional development would be a whole lot easier to take in with curriculum-related seminars or workshops.

Brad.

Ms. T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. T said...

I love your title! You know I could not wait to read this blog. I heard a comment on the news myself a couple of days ago about people not getting enough sleep due to the Internet. I was just this very day, thinking that I was tired of sitting at this laptop to do the readings, watch the videos, and finagle my way around Wikis. I always try to find the good in things, so I came up with the conclusion that at least we are protecting the ozone with the decreased emissions of burning fuel. Yes indeed, I love all of my technology! But, I have been going stir crazy...I need my sun, fresh air, nature sounds, and body movement!

kofernandes said...

Videophilia is a great term, Marge! I'd never herd it before, but it is definitley what not only our kids, but society is suffering from, especially in Michigan in the winter.It would also be nice if our schools, instead of blocking YouTube embraced the technology that our kids are using instead of fighting it.

Bonnie said...

Marge,

I like your opening about people videotaping the assassination of JFK. "What would have happened?" is a very good question. There may have been ten different angles for sure to that puzzle. By the way, they are coming out with a movie about the assassination of the President. Hummmm. Grassroots Video, I felt, is already here. It will continue to be developed, but video technology is here to stay. Students being in a positive environment where they can learn new things and record it is the "key" to instruction. I like that you are a mentor to someone who perhaps would never get an opportunity to see things they "we all" take for granted. Good job Marge, you're an inspiration.

Bonnie