Friday, February 22, 2008

This is a website that I will definitely reccomend to the other teachers at my school. Especially those that teach history. I sat here watching an incredible video of the historian David McCullough, author of 1776, talking about George Washington. History is so often poorly presented to students but McCullough made the times that Washington lived in come alive.
Then I watched a special about Pearl Harbor. Using maps, photos, and narrative the "Day that would live in Infamy" were real.
Maybe I am uninformed but this is the first educational website that I went on that was in both English and Spanish. A quick click at the top of the page was all it took.
Tech support was clearly indicated.
I found the site to be easy to navigate and each site or page that I went on was available.
This site seemed to be directed more for parents and educators. I don't think students - at least young ones - would access information easily without guidance. I liked that lessons were offered to parents to use over summer vacation. Lessons using the local library were very good.
The site is easy to read and visually appealing. It was current and up to date.
There was an excellent section on Black History month. I liked the fact that the science section had information on minority scientists which my students are always searching for. Usually with difficulty.
It is probably not a site that I would put my middle school students on but their teachers and parents - yes. My students love sites like mathplayground or funbrain. Those are more interactive and "fun". But I would suggest this to teachers and parents.

No comments: